Saturday, October 23, 2010

Some Woodcut things but not really?

woodcuts are fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuun.
I'm taking an intro to printmaking class this semester and it makes me wish I was a printmaking major instead. (minus all the fineartsystuffthingsok)
so far we've done monotypes and two different kinds of woodcut, we're moving on to dry point now.
I'll probably put up scans of some of my monotypes.
ANYWAYSNANNNNNANANANNYWAYS.
woodcuts after the jump!



This is kind of a pointless post..since I don't actually have scans of the finals yet.
But but but but! I have some process work !
For our first woodcut it was just a simple black and white one, just to familiarize ourselves with the tools and getting a hang of carving. I guess? I really really really liked the shapes the u shaped gauge made so I wanted to do a block that utilized that.
Just some sketches to try and decide what I wanted to do.
yeahyeahyeahyeahyeahyeahyeah
I was super scared about messing up so I did all of them in photoshop and tried to emulate the different cuts so I'd know exactly what the block would turn out like and how I would do it.
I'm sorry I'm dumb.

if I have any free time I want to do the astronaut one and the levitating cat one. maybe sell some printzzz

This is the one I ended up doing
except it looks kinda different.
my teacher suggested that I me to try and do more black rain on white.
so so so
shitty photo of the drawing on my block, I have a couple of prints of this
a lot of people pointed out that the random spot of black on white looked like someone ahemahemahemed on it. so I extended it to the bottom of the umbrella and now it looks different.
I should get a scan of this. I'm probably not making any sense.


This is my second woodcut, we had to do a chiaroscuro woodcut (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiaroscuro#Chiaroscuro_woodcuts)
The final looks different than what I originally had in mind
just some fiddling around when I printed my 1st state and realized that my lightest green was way too close to white and I was afraid of losing the birds and the stars. the final print looks more like the left most one, just without the border around the stars.

I think the thing I like most about printmaking is the random surprises that happened. I did a shit ton of variations. I think we were supposed to have 8 final prints that were the same, I had 11 kinda and maybe 15 or 20 variations. SO MUCH FUN
I'll get some scans of those some day.
YEAH YEAH YEAH I'M NOT MAKING ANY SENSE RIGHT NOW OK.



SORRY.

2 comments:

  1. OOMMMGGGG you're totally suited for that printmaking jazz. i like them all. ALL OF THEM.

    ReplyDelete
  2. but in particular the spacegirl and the green one

    ReplyDelete